Adelaide Polo Club History
From its humble beginning in 1879, the Adelaide Polo Club has evolved into one of Australia’s most successful polo clubs.
Originally located in the center of the CBD at the Old Victoria Park Racecourse, today the Adelaide Polo Club is based at Woodside, 25km from the CBD amidst rolling hills and big gums. The Adelaide Polo Club is always keen to attract new members who love the thrill of speed, horses, and team ball sports in a well organised, safe and welcoming environment.
Polo in South Australia was first conceived in 1874 when a young graduate from Cambridge University returned home to South Australia carrying with him some polo sticks and balls. Having recently watched a polo match at Hurlingham, the young Lancelot Stirling aspired to play the game in Adelaide. The first polo match was played in South Australia on Montefiore Hill in 1876. Robert Barr Smith, W Gilbert, WH Horn, Major Godwin and Stirling were listed as the initial participants.
So it was that in 1879 the Adelaide Polo Club was officially formed, seemingly at the instigation of WH Horn, although there are records of polo matches being played at garden parties of the Hon. Alex Hay at Linden and CB Hardy at Mitcham at the time.